Category -> Vegetable-Ice-Cream->Double-Beetroot Ice Cream
Double Beetroot Ice Cream
- 12 x organic egg yolks
- 150g unrefined caster sugar
- 500ml whole milk
- 500ml double cream
- 5-6 medium beetroots, cooked until al dente, peeled and pureed
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar jointly until smooth.
- Pour the milk in a pan and bring to just below boiling, and then take out from the heat.
- Leave to cool to some extent, then pour the milk on to the egg and sugar mixture, whisking all the time.
- Pour the mixture in to a clean pan and heat gently, stirring all the time, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Don't let it get too hot or it will split.
- Remove from the heat. Strain through a sieve and leave to cool, then chill, covered with a circle of greaseproof paper to prevent a skin forming.
- When cold, mix in the cream and beetroot puree.
- Pass through a fine sieve.
- Mix the mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen.
- Depending on the capacity of your ice cream maker, you may need to churn the mixture in batches, or you could simply halve the quantities.