Fruit Ice Creams » Orange Ice Cream Varieties » Chocolate Orange Ice-Cream Balls with Almond Praline Recipe
Chocolate Orange Ice-Cream Balls with Almond Praline Recipe
- 2 oranges, juice
and zested rind only
- 140 gm caster sugar
- 600 ml pouring
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 7 egg yolks
- 400 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- Almond praline (optional)
- 90 gm caster sugar
- 60 gm slivered almonds, roasted
- You will need to begin this recipe 2 days ahead.
- Strain orange juice, combine with 90gm sugar and cup water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook for 5-7 minutes until a deep golden colour.
- Cool. Combine cream, milk, orange rind and Grand Marnier in a heavy-based saucepan and bring almost to the boil.
- Ice cream recipes Combine egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale, then gradually whisk in hot milk mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan and stir over low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and strain through a sieve into a bowl and cool.
- Pour into an ice-cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When almost churned, add orange syrup and continue churning.
- Place ice-cream in freezer until required.
- For almond praline, combine sugar and cup water in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes until golden, add nuts, pour onto a lightly oiled tray and cool.
- Place praline in a plastic bag and, ice cream recipes using a rolling pin, crush until almost fine.
- Place in an airtight container until required.
- Using a small ice-cream scooper, we can scoop ice-cream into small balls and place on a chilled baking paper-lined tray.
- Freeze overnight, then insert a wooden cocktail fork or toothpick into the top of each ball and return to freezer for 3-4 hours or until firm.
- Melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place a second baking-paper lined tray in freezer.
- Working quickly, dip ice-cream balls one at a time into cooled chocolate, shaking off excess, then scatter with crushed praline and add to tray in freezer.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours or until set hard. Serve immediately from freezer.
Related Fruit Ice Creams