Snelgrove Ice Cream began as a family owned company in Salt Lake City founded in 1929 by Charles Rich Snelgrove (1887-1976), and later managed by his eldest son C. Laird Snelgrove. The operation remained family owned until about 1990. The name brand is now owned by the Dreyer's company, which owns the former Snelgrove ice cream factory.
Snelgrove ice cream parlors were located in various locations in the Salt Lake area and in other Utah communities. The largest of these was the flagship store located at 850 East 2100 South, in the Sugarhouse neighborhood of Salt Lake City. The decor and architecture of the store was art deco. The store's look was enhanced with a 40 foot wide sign from the early 1960s, with the name Snelgrove in large looping cursive neon letters, and a spinning giant double cone. The factory producing Snelgrove Ice Cream is located directly behind this store. The next oldest location was the Snelgrove store on East South Temple street in downtown Salt Lake City.
Because Snelgrove ice cream was a sentimental favorite in Utah, Dreyer's continued to make and distribute Snelgrove ice cream brand, using some of the original Snelgrove flavors: Canadian Vanilla, Burnt Almond Fudge. Snelgrove Ice Cream is sold in Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado. On February 19, 2008, Dreyer ice cream announced it would no longer make the Snelgrove brand.