Creams-> Strawberry Ice Creams Varieties-> Strawberry
Buttermilk Ice Cream Recipe
Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups cream, half and half or milkp
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- heaping 1/2 cup sliced and diced
strawberries (optional 1 Tablespoon sugar)
- Rinse strawberries under cool water and slice.
- Create a mixture of sliced and diced strawberry pieces.
- If you find that the strawberries aren’t very
sweet, you can toss the sliced strawberries in 1 Tablespoon
of granulated sugar and set aside until ready for the
- Put 1 1/2 cups of cream or milk into a small sauce
- Add the sugar and salt and heat the milk over
medium low heat.
- Keep and eye on the milk, stirring
often so that the bottom of the pan doesn’t
get any burned milk bits.
- While the milk is heating, measure out the buttermilk
and vanilla extract and set aside
- . Also measure out
the remaining 1/2 cup of milk or cream.
- Stir the cornstarch
into this 1/2 cup of milk, until smooth and no lumps
- The milk on the stove should be hot and steaming.
- The milk does not need to boil, it just needs to be
- With the milk over a medium low flame, stir
in the milk and cornstarch mixture.
- Stir the milk
constantly until you begin to feel it thicken.
- The milk mixture should look like the above picture
after it has been thickened by cornstarch.
- Once the
cornstarch is added to the milk it only takes a minute
or two to thicken up.
- Once the milk mixture is thick,
remove from the heat and add vanilla extract and 1/2
cup of buttermilk.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Strain the
warm milk mixture into a mixing bowl, cover in plastic
wrap and allow to cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Once the mixture is cooled, remove from the refrigerator
and stir in the sliced and diced strawberries.
the instructions on your ice cream maker and make
some delicious ice cream!
Related Fruit Ice Creams